Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

     The Big Game is today, and the evidence is everywhere. Here in the Midwest, most of us are rooting for the Packers-- after all, better a team from your region than from halfway across the country, right? However, not everyone agrees. Some truly loyal fans insist on wearing Vikings or Bears colors and jerseys today, but most people, true Packer fans or not, are decked out in green and gold in honor of our regional representative.
     As I said, the evidence of such a momentous event is everywhere. If there's a way someone can display their loyalty to the Packers, then believe me, I've seen it. From the alarming number of slightly hideous green and gold sweaters with footballs embroidered on them, to the special, "Green Bay Pizzas" with green and yellow peppers that stores are selling, I've seen it all. Allow me to elaborate:
     This morning, upon entering our local grocery store to do a bit of pre-game snack shopping with my family, the first thing I saw was a giant display made out of soda that spelled out, "Go Pack" in green Mtn. Dew cases. In addition to this, most of the people around me were showing their support by wearing anything remotely football related. I saw everything from festive green and gold beads to kids with Packer helmets drawn on their faces. People have gone crazy, buying green and yellow tortilla chips and any other foods they can find that bear the Packer colors.
     It's not just what I've seen, but what I've heard, too. In the aisles, people are making plans to meet up at each other's houses an hour or so before the game to get in the spirit of things before kickoff even begins. Slightly out-of-it moms confirm the game time with each other so that they won't miss the start of the, "Biggest Game of the Year" while they stock up on munchies so they won't have to leave their houses during half time. People of all ages are making bets with each other, declaring things like, "If the Packers win, you have to wear an Aaron Rodgers jersey all day Monday, but if they lose, then I'll wear your Vikings sweatshirt for the rest of the week!"  
     Yup, here in the Midwest, things are certainly crazy. But give us a break, ok? After all, the Superbowl comes but once a year!


Thanks for listening (and may the best team win),
Maggs    

No comments:

Post a Comment