Monday, May 17, 2010

The Council of Wise Sayings

Today I discovered something very important- they're wrong. Now, you may be thinking, "Who? Who's wrong? Has she gone crazy?" No, my dear readers, I have not gone crazy. I have simply had an epiphany, shall we say. You might also call it a realization, a sort of eureka moment, or a sudden understanding. In this recognition of truth I discovered that certain people are wrong. Now who these certain people are, I can't exactly tell you. That is because I do not know who they are. You see, the people who I am referring to are those who came up with such sayings as, "what you see is what you get."
As I have recently found out, what you see isn't always what you get. Many times people will surprise you by revealing something totally unexpected about themselves. For example, maybe that burly football player in your high school English Class was really a very talented actor at heart. Maybe that goth chick you know is, in actuality, a great fan of classical music. Perhaps the starving artist at the end of your block really hates to paint, and is only there because his mother makes him. You just never know.
I would also like to point out that these people (not the goth chick and company mentioned above, but the people who came up with all these sayings in the first place) often contradict themselves. On the one hand, they state that what you see is what you get. But on the other hand, these are the same people who have told us time and time again not to judge a book by it's cover. So which is it, oh Council of Wise Sayings? Are we to look at the outside of things and make a decision depending solely on the appearance, or are we supposed to look deeper within and find the true meaning of something? Personally, I think that you have to make your own choice because it all depends on the situation. It's up to you, whatever you decide, but remember: they're wrong too, sometimes.
Thanks for listening,
Maggs

No comments:

Post a Comment